Hardwoods are an excellent choice for decking because of their high density, toughness, durability and in some species, fire retardancy and termite resistance – great for Australian conditions. At Timco Timber we can tell you how to maintain the timber to get the best out of your decking.
Features and Benefits
- Decking can also be used for vertical design elements such as screens, seating, gates and fences
- Decking can be used to complement internal flooring and form a natural flow from indoors to outdoors
- Blackbutt and Spotted Gum have a natural fire resistance. Their fire retarding properties meet Australian Standard AS3959, and so can be used in bush-fire prone areas without any treatment
- Hardwoods are easy to stain to complement an outdoor colour scheme or can be left raw to create a natural, weathered look
- Outdoor decking is seasoned to ensure optimum hardness, stability and long service life
- A timber deck is built over the natural lie of the land so it will not interfere with drainage
- Australian species are ideally suited to Australian conditions
- Ideal for other applications such as fences, gates, seating and screens
- Timber sources decking from Australian Forestry Standard (AFS) certified forestry and other sustainably managed and legal sources
- Durable hardwood timber decking is a natural product and can be refinished to its original state with little fuss
Where to use Australian Hardwood Decking
Timber decking is excellent for pool surrounds and as an alternative to concrete and paving materials. Decking can also be used to enhance the natural flow from indoor flooring to outdoor decking by using the same species. Decking can also be used for vertical design elements such as screens, seating, gates and fences. Commercial decking is also available for a range of structures where a greater load capacity and wider spans are required.
Application and installation
We recommend decking be nailed or screwed directly to hardwood bearers and joists. Fencing can be screwed into timber or steel posts. After installation, the deck must be swept and cleaned to remove metal filings from drilling, nailing or other construction that may cause black spots on the deck when exposed to the elements.
Care and Maintenance
When hardwood decking is exposed to the elements it will naturally turn a soft silver-grey. To preserve the colour of the timber species and improve the life of the deck, apply a decking finish to the exposed surfaces. Reapply according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Swan River Red
- Spotted Gum
- Treated pine and more
- Merbau / Kwila
- Treated pine
Timco offers a range of Timber Decking. Depending on stock available at the time of order.
The following sizes are available:
|70 x 19 Kapur Decking – random lengths only||70 x 22 Permapine Decking – 4.8m & 5.4m lengths – (depending on stock at time of order)|
|90 x 19 Kapur Decking – random lengths only||90 x 19 Merbau – random lengths only|
|90 x 22 Permapine Decking – 4.8m & 5.4m lengths – (depending on stock at time of order|